Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why put a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini?


“I Corinthians 10:23: Everything is permissible -- but not everything is beneficial. However, it is probably prudent to realize that if God thought it was a bad idea to cut or tattoo your body in Leviticus, then He still thinks it's not a good idea. The only thing that has changed is how he deals with your decision to go against His wisdom.
Perhaps the qualifying question for a Christian is, of what benefit is "fill-in-the-blank" to the Kingdom of God? Will it further your relationship with Christ? Is it even smart to mark your body permanently with a "here-today-gone-tomorrow" fad that you may one day feel stupid displaying?” – Bob Coy
There is a new fad that I will call “tattooing for Jesus”. I have also seen on the news pole dancing for Jesus (probably the reason why I don’t watch the news). I have always been attracted by tattoos (not pole dancing). I have seriously considered getting a tattoo many times. I even have a post about it. If you know me and you have a tattoo, I have always complimented your tattoo(s) and probably even felt a little jealous of your body art (shhh).  I have never really cared to judge or condemn tattoos, until now. I don’t think that getting a tattoo is going to send you to hell, but I don’t believe that any tattoo has anything to do with glorifying God. Maybe it’s old age, motherhood or maybe I’m just tired of these distractions.

Every time I have thought about getting a tattoo, the reason has always been rebellion or self-gratification. I once met a girl who tattooed a sparrow on her wrist to symbolize her virginity and commitment not to have sex before marriage. Sounds noble enough – a sacred covenant. I have also seen enough episodes of Inked to know that people often get tattoos as part of their grieving process after losing a loved one. If that is the case I will tell you this: My parents have been mourning my sister’s death for 37 years and no amount of money, parties, drinking, friends, collectibles Lladros or jewelry could ever erase that memory or fill that empty, gaping hole.

Being that tattoos are an outward expression of your heart, a Christian themed tattoo seems to be ok, right? Well, as a parent, I wouldn’t want my daughter or son to mark their bodies for any reason. I want them to think twice about the impact that these kinds of compromising actions/decisions will have on their life – whether it is a tattoo, sex, smoking, drinking, drugs…These actions will not necessarily send you to hell, but it will leave a mark – whether inside or outside, or both. When it comes to my kids, I don’t want to see anything marking the skin of a child who I raised and cared for by wiping away every tear and cleaning blood from their scraped knees. Doing everything so that all of those falls and scrapes won't leave a mark. Unfortunately, David split his right knee open when he was 6 and had to get 14 stitches. That left a severe scar and there is not one day that goes by that I don’t wish that his scar was on me rather than him. Jonathan also has tiny scars that remind me of his time in the NICU – his PIC line, the day of the blood transfusion… should I go on?

So, when the most exciting thing that happened in Sunday School is that the Sunday school teacher got a new tattoo, what am I supposed to tell my kids?  That the tattoo glorifies God? I for one can't accept that because my tattoo infatuation has always been about the flesh and not the spirit. If you want a tattoo, get one, take responsibility for it and stop trying to sanctify it. It is not a witnessing tool. It is a tattoo. An ordinary tattoo. The only extraordinary thing you got on you is the Holy Spirit. 

Now, the Bible only addresses marking and cutting your skin in the OT. Some argue that the words of the OT no longer apply and after the grace that we received through the death of Jesus on the cross, we don’t have to live by any of those rules (FYI - Jesus came to fulfill the law). Others will argue that the actions of marking the skin and eating unclean animals are never mentioned in the NT, but when you read you need to understand that these were rules that God gave His people so that they would stand out as the chosen people of God. I don’t think anything has changed. Today, there are (pagan) practices that have nothing to do with God and God’s people should have nothing to do with them. Just like some of us will stay away from celebrating Halloween because of its origins, the history or origin of this ritual (tattooing) is not something that we should take lightly. We should be different – that is what attracts people to us. Not our tattoos, piercings, using curse words in our worship music, etc. Unbelievers have tried it all. What they are missing is Jesus. They are looking for redemption and purity – the purity that comes from the blood of Jesus, not the blood-letting of the tattoo. Please, please, do not underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit which convicts through the Word of God.

Jesus didn’t burn anything in protest of other religions. His only physical marks were scars from his crucifixion, not a stunt to increase the crowd to 5,000 (plus women and children) for the feeding miracle. He had another plan…

He would build his church on the truth that He was the Christ – the one-and-only Messiah/Savior – and that message would be the foundation of what would follow. Today – as it was, then – that is the most controversial thing we could say or do: to maintain that the Lord Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father in Heaven is the offense of history. Consider me offensive, with no headlines….” – Bob Shank

The devil is the master of compromise. It’s the little things… let’s vote pro-choice, let’s vote pro marriage equality because my lesbian friend would give me her kidney if I needed it, let’s not talk about sin at church because then people won’t come back. The devil is also the master of distractions… let’s wear green nail polish on Tuesday at 3PM so that everyone who sees our green nail polish will ask about Jesus, but let’s not post anything in support of Israel, let’s not teach from the OT, let’s not talk about doctrine and let’s be politically correct or better yet a-political.

Listen, if you are reading this and you are one of my un-saved friends, I love your tatts! If you are reading this and you are one of my saved friends and you plan on getting a tattoo, better you than me ;). If you are my child and you are reading this in 10 years because you want to permanently mark yourself for the sake of who knows what, read on.

Let’s start branding ourselves on the inside. Let’s read the OT along with the rest of the Bible. Let’s start with the 10 commandments – I bet you will find a solution to your existential or humanistic crisis by reading through those 10 simple rules. Don’t kill (abortion), don’t covet (if you want your neighbors car, get a degree and work hard and get yourself promoted to a higher paying position)…  And if you are thinking about getting a Christian tattoo, please think about this: You were wonderfully and fearfully made. You are perfect in the eyes of God. So, why put a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini?

2 comments:

  1. Great title for a blog on this topic! Made me laugh, think and consider God's truth & His heart! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog "thekangaroomom"! You are so spot on when you say "The devil is the master of compromise." It reminds me of the lyrics in that Casting Crowns song:

    It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
    It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
    Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
    When you give yourself away
    People never crumble in a day
    It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

    Thanks for rockin' the truth your words!

    -JS

    ReplyDelete