Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It is VITAL that you know...




... what Operation Christmas Child is all about!!! As you may have read in my last post (I am averaging about 1 post per month - not so hot for a wannabe social media expert), I went to Connect 2012, the Operation Christmas Child Volunteer Meeting. It was sooo much more exciting, uplifting, EDIFYING than I can ever tell you about. The authenticity of the ministry and the hearts of the Volunteers and Staff... Incredible!!! I was so impressed by the organization. Having worked in large companies with large Marketing departments and with wonderful professionals, I tend to be quite critical. Don't get me wrong. I try not to be judgmental, but I am critical - as in constructive criticism... ;). I was pleasantly surprised, although I really don't know why I would be surprised at all, these people are "marketing" for God, how could they be anything but the BEST?!? I was blessed to have been able to leave my 3 kids at home, about 1 week after loosing my job in order to attend, but God knew that what I was going to experience in Atlanta was going to produce tweets, this post and more shoeboxes!

At Connect 2012 in Atlanta,GA. (Stone Mountain)
Meet some of members of the Florida/PR Team.


I don't want to extend myself, so I will just give you my elevator speech - adapted from several other OCC Volunteer and Staff presentations - it goes something like this and sometimes I do it in Spanish:

"Do you know about OCC? We are a ministry of Samaritans Purse, an international relief organization, headed by Franklin Graham." (at this point, some poeple are still clueless, so when I see that empty look in their eyes, I mention that Franklin is Billy Graham's son - in some cases they make the connection, but mind you - not ALL cases!).

"What we do is fill shoe boxes with items like toothbrushes and other personal hygiene products, as well as, toys and send them to poor children all over the world. Last year we packed and shipped 8.5 MILLION boxes to over 100 countries!" (8.5 million usually produces wide eyes and open mouths)

"Every box delivered is a representation of God's love and it presents an opportunity to share the Gospel. In some countries, we are blessed to have local teachers trained by SP/OCC who through the local church facilitate a 12 week discipleship program called The Greatest Journey (TGJ). Every child that registers for TGJ is introduced to Jesus and is taught how to  follow Him and how to share their faith. On week #4, the receive Christ and on week 12, they are asked to write the names of 9 people - family, friends, etc. with whom they will share the Gospel." (this part usually produces tears in the eyes of those who are believers).

It is important to me that you (all of my readers: Gail and now Jane - lol) know what OCC is doing all over the world. It is important that we as volunteers and any of you who pack so much as ONE shoebox, can communicate the scope of this ministry and our mission in the most clear way.

After the elevator speech, we get a series of follow-up questions like:

1. Where do the boxes go?
2. How does it work?
3. How can my church or organization get involved?
4. How can I volunteer?

I have answers to all of these questions, just email me (rglobaina@yahoo.com).

Edwin, the kids and I at Expolit, Miami, FL. making contacts
in the hispanic community for OCC.
One other very important thing to say is that we don't only have shoe box generation goals which equal gospel opportunities, but we also have internal goals, as an organization. As Christians we are called to "Love one another" - this is The Great Commandment . As a team, we support each other in prayer, we make friends, help people in our community. OCC is a great opportunity for families to come together and do something with true meaning and a lasting impression. It allows us the opportunity to share God's love with our children and teach them about being involved in the Lord's work.






Here are a few videos (my favs) from OCC:

http://youtu.be/9NmawQ9gMvE

http://youtu.be/e7WB4HWmn-k

http://youtu.be/SnedBI-PRZw

I hope to see you at one of our events this Fall.

With Love,

Rosie



No comments:

Post a Comment